During summer in Northern Colorado, the UV light is much more intense than in the winter months. While we get an average of 300 days of sun, year round, we need to be extra diligent in protecting our eyes against the damaging rays from the sun. Here are some tips for protecting your eyes from the harmful UV rays that can accelerate eye issues, like the formation of cataracts. Fort Collins optometrists know and understand the risks and encourage you to protect your eyes. Remember, that these tips go for both you and your kids.
- When outside for long periods of time, wear a hat and sunglasses. Choose sunglasses that protect from both UVA and UVB rays. They will state that on the sunglasses. If they don’t state that, don’t buy them. Also, if you work outside, you may want to buy sunglasses with polarization to help protect your eyes from the glare.
- Summer is a time when many outdoor projects are tackled. Always wear your eye protection, like goggles or safety glasses. Don’t rely on your readers to protect your eyes.
- As you’re going on a road trip or camping, be careful of bungee cords snapping.
- At the 4th of July, fireworks are a must in most communities in the United States. Be cautious about where and how the fireworks are lit and shot off.
- Take advantage of all the fresh vegetables that are rich in vitamins and minerals great at protecting your eyes and keeping them healthy.
If you have further questions about how to protect your eyes or if your eyes are bothering you after being out in the sun too long, contact your local optometrist at Advanced Eyecare in Fort Collins, CO. We can give you suggestions on how to ease your eye pain and strain. We also carry eyeglasses you can try on and order through Advanced Eyecare.